Friday, July 01, 2005

Make Poverty History

I'm sure you've heard of the movement. It's been in the media for quite some time now. Its the big campaign to pressure the G8 into increasing aid, drop the debt, and make fair trade laws. Honestly I'm praying that it works. I would love for the poverty we see in so many countries to be eradicated.

Will it work? I don't know. A friend of mine constantly says that the debt is just figures on a page, meaning nothing. I don't know. I tend to think that removing the debt of these countries,(most of whom are in debt because at one time they were run by one of the G8) is the right thing to do. It seems that it would free up much of the funds that are currently just going back into the pockets of the richest 8 countries.

But will it work?? I still don't know. It has potential. But humans are corrupt. Corrupt governments can sneak a "little off the top", and the people will still be suffering.

In the end, I suppose it depends on a lot of individual humans. Will they sacrifice their greed for a better world?

Support Make Poverty History

No comments: