Sunday, April 09, 2006

My trip

Have you ever wondered about the oddness of your family? These last few days I was reminded with full force of the strange lineage from which I come.

My mother's side of the family had a family reunion. The strangeness began when we picked up my aunt.

My mother and her are 15 years apart (my aunt being the senior of the two). My Aunt Diane heckles my mother to get her to do what she wants. "turn here....no you've turned the wrong way. Go back!" It was like watching an I Love Lucy episode. Very funny.

Then we got to my Uncle Allen...I mean, Joseph's house. (he grew up being called Allen, his middle name, until he married his second wife a few years ago and then started going by his first name, Joseph) Trying to remember to call him, "uncle Joseph" was ridiculously difficult. Finally I realised he would need a nickname if I were ever to call him 'Joseph'. I finally settled on "SIR JOSEPH". Once I settle on that, it was easy.

I have not seen any of my cousins for years. The last time I saw them was easily over 10 years ago. Some of us have tried to keep in contact, but its hard. On this trip, I spoke with all of them. It was fabulous.

Jonathan was out of the army and looking for residency overseas (he and I are kindred spirits that way).

Chad had gotten married and had a child. Cari was getting ready to jetset off to India. She travels to a different country almost monthly it seems. Matthew is doing great with school. We celebrated his birthday and his eyes lit up when we told him we had presents!

Jim is happy in his law enforcement job. He is very proud of his 5 foot 11 inch tall 8th grade son who is being recruited to train for basketball at the high school. Brian is doing pretty well. He brought his daughter, Jasmine, for me to get to know. He has spoken about her constantly but I'd never had a chance to meet her. I loved her almost instantly. Her and I are now "best friends".

My trip was fabulous. I had forgotten how much I missed my family. I had forgotten how crazy they all could be. I had forgotten to some extent, where I come from. It was good to get re-connected.

No comments: