Saturday, June 24, 2006

Controversy


So I just finished Dan Brown's book, The Da Vinci Code. I know I'm only 2-3 years behind the rest of the world, but please bear with me.

After so much drama about the book, movie, and court case, I figured that the contents of the book must be extremely well written and obscenely convincing. So I must admit that I kind of decided I didn't want to read something that would shake my faith up too much....(that is why the delay in reading) Then I decided that my faith wasn't worth having if I avoided things that challenged it. So I read the book...and was completely disappointed.

The book was a cheap paperback thriller. It started out as a great idea but the actual plot had holes that you could drive a truck through.

Churches around the world have been up-in-arms about the religious implications of this book. I really don't understand why they gave it the time of day. Most student of history could see the faults in the "facts" and logic jumps. The churches' outrage only added to the credibility of the falsehoods.

I think I was hoping for something that was really going to force me to reconsider my faith...Instead it caused me roll my eyes in annoyance.

No comments: