Tuesday, June 20, 2006

To the director of Xmen 3, Brett Ratner


Dear Mr. Ratner

I saw your film, X-men: The Last Stand several weeks ago. While I was most tempted to write this letter to you immediately I felt that a "cooling off" period was needed before I commented to you about your film. After almost 4 weeks I feel the cooling off period is over and I can say with full surety that your film was terrible.

I know that many people will criticize your deviation from the comic books, but I feel that the movies have been a separate entity. Thus, I feel that in the films all movement away from the comic books are not necessarily a bad thing. However, moving away from the story set up in x-men 1 & 2 is a mistake. You moved so far away from the characters and story we all fell in love with that you caused many of us fans to cry out in anguish. It was only through an act of God that rabid fans with pitchforks as claws didn't attack you!

Lets start with plot. Do you know that the difference between 'plot' and 'action' is? Because as far as I can tell, all the parts that needed plot you added action instead. So maybe your just confused. In order to help, I'll send you a dictionary to help clarify the difference.

Secondly, do you know that character can develop in a story??

Cinematicly, you've changed the style of the film from the first two. At first I was very angry that you changed the film style of x-men. (this is where the cooling off period paid off) After thinking about it though, every director should be allowed their own style of film, even if it is part of a series.

Lastly, gore does not make a good film! Your good at action, but please consider us people who actually WANT MORE! More story LESS gore!

Thank you for your consideration in this most earth-shattering problem.
K-Marie

No comments: