Sunday, August 31, 2003

I suppose I could wendge about the meaninglessness of study or the fact that i'm studying too hard, but i fear that most of you are already sick of this speach. So instead, i will attempt to say something that is possibly more interesting.

I suppose one of my greatest love's is movies. That is why, when Rosa insisted that i watch a "hong kong movie" i didn't resist too much. I was a bit worried because i wasn't sure that i would understand enough of what was happening for me to enjoy it. There is the whole language barrier, which is supposed to be eased by subtitles, then there is the problem with reading the subtitles fast enough to keep up with the images. if you can manage to do that, then your doing very well. I held my breath and watched the first one. It was Twins Effect. This one didn't have english subtitles so Rosa translated it for me when i didn't understand. (which was all the time, pretty much). It was really wonderful though...i found a style for romance that i hadn't known. (this film as not a romance, btw...it was more of an action movie) The reason that the romance got me, was there was no big kiss scene at the end. I somewhat brushed it off until i watched another and another and yet another movie. No matter what the genre, romance, action, sci-fi, ect. the "big kiss" at the end is missing. I don't think i fully realized that this could be done effectively. As in, leave out the sexual physical contact and still be able to have a story that was pleasing at the end. I really like it. It has given me new material to work with!

So there is my astonishing revelation for the day. Hope you enjoy.

No comments: