Wednesday, October 15, 2003

My semi-deep thought for the day was stolen from multiple people, including but not limited to, Jenne and Melody. What if God is just a figment of my imagination? What if I’m following something that is not really there? Is God only a small part of my subconscious mind?

Some one once said that just because you can’t see the wind does not mean that it doesn’t exist. In fact you can see the effects of the wind but not the wind itself. Maybe the wind doesn’t exist and the effects are just natural things that happen because that is what is intended to happen. (If I were more scientific I’m sure holes could be found in that theory) Somehow that idea doesn’t work for me even without the scientist poking holes in it.

I can’t see my parents right now. Yet, I know they exist. I know they do because they send me emails occasionally and packages (provided the mail service doesn’t stuff up). I can’t touch them, see them, taste them, hear them (no money to call home at the moment), or smell them. Believing that they don’t exist wouldn’t change their existence either. Believing that they loved me less wouldn’t change their love for me.

You get where I’m going with this? God’s existence can be doubted but it doesn’t change His existence. I believe that God is real no matter where I stand emotionally or physically with him. Believing that He doesn’t exist wouldn’t change his existence but would only chance my attitude towards life.

It is quite possible I have gotten preachy in my old age. And sadly enough it is the type of preachy that really doesn’t make sense to anyone but myself…so feel free to ignore this…it is just a statement of faith for me….

No comments: