Sunday, October 19, 2003

Temptation is one of those strange things that i never have quite understood. Why is it that one thing is a temptation at one time, but in a totally different setting the same thing wouldn't even faze you? How is it that some times the temptation appears stronger than you are and at other times is hardly noticed? Why is it so hard to resist it when it is strong? what makes it strong?

I constantly tell myself that all my temptations (eg, sex drugs, and rocknroll) are permissable at certain times. I just have to wait for those 'certain times' to allow myself the indulgance.

Have you ever heard of the child and the marshmellow test? It is a test where the child is told that they can have one marshmellow now or they can wait until the adult returns and get two. The child is then left there with the marshmellow sitting in front of him or her and they must chose. If you were the child, what would you do?

I know what the correct response is, but honestly it seems to be getting harder by the minute. Where is God in all this? Isn't He supposed to keep me in check? or maybe i'm pushing too much blame onto Him. Maybe i'm just not allowing Him in enough to keep me balanced.

I think that the latter is true. I'm not sure how to give all these temptations over to Him and let Him teach me how to deal with them. I know there is a way...i just need to find it.

No comments: