Monday, August 29, 2005

Genocide


Last night I had a terrible time trying to sleep. In the end, I don't think I slept much at all last night. I kept thinking/dreaming of people being killed.

Reason? I watched Hotel Rwanda yesterday afternoon. It is the true story of some of the happenings of the Rwanda Genocide. I cried. How could a world not care about the killing of millions of people??? Didn't World War II teach us anything??

In 1999 The Guardian reported:
The West must share the responsibility for killings in Rwanda and Bosnia.

Watching the film tore me apart inside. Reading the news articles about it ripped my heart again! Caring about the fact that people hacked eachother up with machetiis requires me to feel! and it hurts badly!

So I'm left with a problem. Do I continue reading these issues. I have very little power to do anything about them. I live in a foreign country and have little or nothing to do with my own. I have no political sway.

If I ignore the cries of these millions of people (because genocide is still happening TODAY) does the blood of the victims fall on me?

No comments: