Monday, March 20, 2006

bookish

I once had a fear that i would be considered "bookish" if i read too many books. This fear lasted maybe 10 minutes before i realised i didn't really care. I don't think i've ever given any amount of real consideration to other people liking me or not.

This is not to say that i don't care about having friends or socially polite behaviour. No, i'm just more likely to care that my friends are interested in me and not some sort of persona of someone they *might* like.

By now your sure i'm patting myself on the back for managing to be me myself for all these years. You may rest easy. This isn't the point.

As i attempt to fill out applications for visas, police reports, and other official documents i find myself putting that special "spin" on my character. I want to please these people. I want them to like me. I want them to give me a clean bill of character and let me pass through these proverbial doors of life!

In a sense i don't want to appear "bookish" to these authorities. i want to fit into the perfect peg. The i want to be the chearleader type that is popular and stays out of trouble!

But in the end, what is wrong with my "bookish" behaviour?

No comments: