Saturday, February 11, 2006

More than oops

I recently wrote an article that was based on my own experience. The problem was, "my own" experience drew heavily from someone else's life. The ethical thing to do would have been to contact this person and ask permission to use details of their life in my story. In my own selfishness, I decided not to. Not because I thought they would have denied me permission, but rather it would have taken time and I just couldn't be bothered. Besides, it was going to be published in a magazine that they would never see.

It came as quite a surprise then, when a few weeks later it was published in a DIFFERENT magazine that I was sure this person would come across. All my excuses suddenly fell short in the face of a long friendship that was now threatened.

After this person read the article they were shocked to find that several of the examples I gave did not fit with what they felt happened. Our memories and understanding of events were different. Not only was this embarrassing, I suspect it hurt them that I hadn't paid more attention to the details.

While this person has assured me that they have forgiven me, I am still plagued by guilt.

James says, "confess your sins to one another, and pray for one another, so that you may be healed". I guess in my posting this, I'm looking for healing. So it is here on my public site that I acknowledge my ethical laps. To the person whom I have betrayed, I am sorry. I am sorry that didn't take the time to check with you. I am sorry that you have now have reason to question my trust. I am sorry....

No comments: