Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Pride


The Olympics have struck a cord with me. For the first time, I see how the Olympics can be more than puffed up two year olds challenging eachothers with "I can run faster than you!"

US speed skater, Joey Cheek, won gold on Monday night. He announced that he was going to donate this prize money to Darfur refugees. This shocked me but what shocked me more was his challenge to the sponsors of the Olympics to match his gift. The challenge itself didn't shock me, but to whom it was addressed did. So often I have seen people from the USA assume that if another person is doing what they are, they can afford the same things they can. It was nice to see the challenge was not put to other winners of the Olympics, but rather those who obviously have the money to donate.

Anyway, this is my congratulatory response to Joey Cheek, for winning the gold and making a stand for a country that every nation wants to forget exists!

No comments: