Thursday, January 26, 2006

Australia Day


Last night I was asked what my plans were for Australia day. Currently living about a million miles away from such wonders as the Opera House and the Harbour Bridge, I find it difficult to plan any sort of celebrations. I look around me and see NOTHING even remotely Australia...with the possible exception of my wardrobe which seems to cause a great amount of cultural discussion. (who knew sarongs were such a novelty?)

With no hint of Australian culture in my sites, a choice for celebration is difficult. I suppose I could do go out drinking...but I'm not a drinker and as my friends continue to tell me "American beer is too ****ing close to water".

I could go to the zoo and admire the frozen Australian animals but I feel that that may only be a way of condoning animal cruelty.

So in the end, I will go to work, take my dog to the vet, nurse it back to health, and try to finish sewing a dress.

It isn't a very celebratory day, but Australia is never far from my mind.

No comments: