Monday, January 09, 2006

Is this "American sentiment"?



I was raised to believe that my birth country (the USA) worked for the freedom of all its citizens. I was brought up believing that freedom of speech was encouraged. I was taught that the United States of America wanted people to think for themselves. They encouraged other countries to think for themselves by helping to establish democratic governments. I was taught that the USA worked to include all people. Printed on the statue of liberty are the words:

"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me.
I lift my lamp beside the golden door."

I believe that once this ideal was not only believed but aimed for. Somewhere along the way, however, the desire for "perfection" has turned the country into the very thing it once fought against.

The birth of the America's began with a war. They fought against a country that wanted to control trading arrangements to the benefit of itself. Today, the USA does the same thing.

If the USA continues on its current path, it will become the very entity that it has fought so long against. It will become a theorocracy, a dictatorship, and a burden. The latest choice for Supreme Court Judge proves this. I do not rant against my country of birth, I rant against the personal freedoms that are being sacrified for "religious" reasons. Was this country not founded on the principle that church and state are separate?

But maybe I am just old fashioned. Maybe I am out of tune with what is needed in this country. Maybe I just don't belong.

No comments: