Monday, September 18, 2006

deep-fried thumb


Last night i deep-fried my thumb. While making tea, i used my hand to adjust a piece of bread that was sitting in hot oil. I should have realised that my depth perception was not great (it never is when its darker). I stuck my thumb in the hot oil, and being the daft that i am, i didn't realise i was burning it for a couple of seconds. Suddenly the pain reached my brain and i screamed and ran to the sink for some cold water.

Chris, the sweetheart that he is, ran to my aid! he grabbed ice out of the freezer and held it to my hand. I was very grateful but knew that if he didn't attend to tea, it would burn before i got better. i instructed him to flip the bread in the pan so that one side would not burn. He did so, but managed to step on a piece of stray glass and cut his foot badly. With blood dripping out of his foot he ran to the bathroom to search in vain for a band-aid. When he came back he found me still nursing my sore thumb. He found the piece of glass on the floor he had stepped on and picked it up to throw in the bin. Unfortunately, he cut himself again. This time not so badly.

After two hours of holding ice to my thumb, (and chris sitting quietly on the floor) i felt it was time to let blood flow return to my limb. I took my hand away from the ice and as the blood rushed back to my thumb i screamed in pain. (that really HURTS!)

After 5 minutes of me pacing around the house and generally bemoaning my state, chris insisted i take something for the pain. I finally agreed and took prescription strength vicodin. (for those who don't know, this is a SUPER drug in the fight against pain) Soon after i was seeing spots and telling Chris he "made me feel like blueberries". Neither one of us is sure what that means besides the obvious idea that I possible shouldn't deep fry my thumb.

1 comment:

Key to Happiness said...

You make a tragic evening seem so funny. Sorry you both had such a rough time.