Monday, October 30, 2006

And you can Quote me on that


After much careful research, i have come across a long lost converstation between two of the greatest minds, George Bernard Shaw and Mark Twain.




GB SHAW: Everything happens to everybody sooner or later if there is time enough.

GB SHAW: A fool's brain digests philosophy into folly, science into superstition, and art into pedantry. Hence University education.

MARK TWAIN: Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid, the vast limits of their knowledge. I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.

GB SHAW: I can forgive Alfred Nobel for having invented dynamite, but only a fiend in human form could have invented the Nobel Prize.

MARK TWAIN: Barring that natural expression of villainy which we all have, the man looked honest enough.[but] Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.

GB SHAW: Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will.

MARK TWAIN: I have been through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.

GB SHAW: [Well,] if you cannot get rid of the family skeleton, you may as well make it dance.

MARK TWAIN: I have a higher and grander standard of principle than George Washington. He could not lie; I can, but I won't.

GB SHAW: Self-sacrifice enables us to sacrifice other people without blushing.

MARK TWAIN: I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him.

[part of the transcript is terribly damaged, but it continues...]

GB SHAW: Americans Adore me and will go on adoring me until i say something nice about them.

MARK TWAIN: It was wonderful to find America, but it would have been more wonderful to miss it.

GB SHAW: Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it.

MARK TWAIN: The universal brotherhood of man is our most precious possession.






thanks to the quotationspage.com for the quotes.

2 comments:

Becky Daniel said...

i love this!!
...the duel quote by Twain left me gasping. :D

kris said...

my personal fav. is Shaw's "if you cannot get rid of the family skeleton, you may as well make it dance."

it makes me feel good:)