Monday, April 21, 2008

film review: Penelope


I love a good fairytale. Modern fairytales make me happy, but often leave me cold. I love the idea of them, but they just don't pull off the wonder that so many other fairy stories leave me with.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that the film Penelope, starring Christina Ricci, was lacking in the cold area. The story was beautiful and exciting.

The tale centres around a girl who as been cursed with the nose of a pig. Her mother hides her away from the public and at the same time tries to marry her off to a "blue blood" to break the curse.

I especially like the end where the moral of her story is told by children.

Penelope: [telling her class her story] And we lived happily ever after - well, happily ever after so far at least.
Child #1: I don't get it. What does it mean?
Penelope: Well, you tell me what you think it means.
Child #2: Rich people stink!
Child #3: It's always the mothers fault.


With the help of some beautiful acting and careful cinematic work, and best of all, a real script, it has won its place as one of my favourite films. And yes, our next movie night will probably feature this film. Brace yourself.

No comments: