Friday, April 11, 2008

Nightmare to romance

It wasn't that long ago i gushed about the wonders of my husband and it is unashamedly i am about to do it again.

The other night i woke up in a panic. I had awoken from a dream that had seemed to be absolutely real. I dreamt that my mother had died when i was young and i had grown up with my father. The dream highlighted things that had actually happened in my life and magnified them. In my dream i remember my real current life like it was a great day-dream or schoolgirl fantasy.

As I awoke from the nightmare clutching the doona, my sleepy eyes looked around the room. I expected to see the walls in my dreams. I expected to hear the banging on the bedroom door. I didn't. I heard the soft snores of my husband next to me. He half awoke and asked me if i was okay. I said i had suffered a nightmare and he pulled me to his chest. "Don't worry. I've got you. Your safe here."

I can not explain the relief of realising the dream had only been a dream. To realise that the life i had thought of as a foolish fantasy, i actually live every day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aww, you're so lucky you have someone to hold you when the nightmares come.

I had a weird dream the other night (can't remember it though) and even though my girlfriend was sleeping beside me I didn't have anyone to hold me. Mind you, it was just a weird dream, not a nightmare.

And before you start thinking any more wrong thoughts, the reason my girlfriend was sleeping beside me was because we were in a cave with the youth from church. We were in separate sleeping bags.