Friday, January 19, 2007

Lonely


I've noticed over the last year or so that there are quite a few bulletins that get posted on myspace that ask the writer various questions about themselves. One of the more interesting questions that seems to be asked frequently is 'what is your worst fear?'. I have been amazed by how many times the answer comes back the same. Lots of people seem to be afraid of dying alone.

The phrase, dying alone, seems strange to me. I mean, don't we all die alone really? no one can take the journey from life to death with you. The journey is yours to take alone.

Maybe we aren't so much afraid of dying alone, but living alone. In cities that are populated by thousands and millions, it is easy to get lost in the crowd of people. For all our advances in technology, we can still feel a gap when we try to connect to people electronically. It almost feels uncomfortable to try and meet knew people in person. So much of us is exposed in a person to person encounters, yet we are tired of hiding behid our computer.

No one likes being lonely and somehow it is so much worse to be alone in a city full of people.

i wish that i had a cure all answer to the proplem of loneliness. i wish i weren't a snob who hides behid her perfect house, in her safe neighbourhood, with her nice husband and a laptop. I wish i didn't shake thinking about who i was going to have to meet next, but i do. It is people like me that keep the lonely people lonely. So it is my job to break out of my bubble. It is my job to try to keep people from living alone. Do i take the next step?

1 comment:

Becky Daniel said...

i totally know what you mean about the lonely people syndrome. your blog reminded me of an article i wrote in the beginning of 2005. so i posted it: http://sisters4evr.blogspot.com/

if you don't get it at first...it'll make sense at the last paragraph.