Friday, November 03, 2006

Stand up?


Yesterday we received our first visit from the Jehovah's Witnesses. We were not home (fortunately) so they left us a pamphlet. As I read over some of the headings I was surprised at how closely their views tie with the Seventh-day Adventist Church. But what I was MORE interested in was how strongly worded the pamphlet was! They called all religions who ordain homosexual clergy 'false' religions. They said any church who protected child molesters was 'evil'. I was shocked! I have seen these sorts of pamphlets before, for my own denomination even! but not ones that were published in my lifetime!

Its interesting how a religion or a denomination that begins with such fire soon cools to a moderately warm church. The official stand for many of the churches is not to get involved in current events. They don't want to pass judgment on anything that happens. In the end, the members feel as if they have nothing to say to the world around them. They are not involved.

While I may not agree with everything our church used to say it stood for, it sure would be nice to know where they currently stand.

2 comments:

Melody said...

check this out.

kris said...

um, that isn't entirely accurate. After talking to a JW, a friend and i found out that they do believe that Saturday is the day to worship, but since its more convenient to meet on Sunday, that's what they do.