Monday, November 13, 2006

Word-ology


Redeploy. In grade school I was taught that the prefix 're' means again. 'deploy' means to arrange in a position of readiness, or to move strategically or appropriately. So "redeploy' means to arrange in a position of readiness again. WRONG! Apparently it means to move or allocate to a different position.

I learned this fact when I was reading the article about the democrats in the USA wanting to 'redeploy' troops from Iraq. Its interesting to me that the republicans are so viciously 'staying the course' of refusing to give a timeline for pulling troops out. Now personally, I can understand the strategic reasons for not giving a timeline. (1), it keeps the 'enemy' from the belief that they have won and (2) it allows the government to do whatever they want for however long they want.

Now I would love to go on about what could be so bad about letting the rest of the world solve thier own problems. I could say how the CIA is responsible for most of the instabilities in countries that have oil (like the middle east) and how the US president was the sort of man who is happy for middle eastern children to die if it upped his stalks in his oil company but i won't. I'm just too tied today to find all the links again to prove it.

No comments: